test the user list!

Ahmed Mohombe
No sh.., after 2 months of setup in the gmane pipe, now
it seems to be completed - that's really a performance :).

Ahmed.

Re: test the user list!

Malcolm Edgar-2
Well better late than never I suppose.

cheers Malcolm

On 9/13/05, Ahmed Mohombe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No sh.., after 2 months of setup in the gmane pipe, now
> it seems to be completed - that's really a performance :).
>
> Ahmed.

Re: test the user list!

Ahmed Mohombe
> Well better late than never I suppose.
Well, of course it is :).

I'm just wondering cause I have a strange feeling in my stomach in the last time,
especially last few months regarding the infrastructure for OS projects:
- The sourceforge CVS seems to have may problems this year (but only a few letters
   seem to be affected) - especially in 'pserver' mode (less problems, but still
   present in 'ext' mode).
- The sourceforge project pages load only partially in Mozilla in many cases. If one
   looks at the source of the page in the browser - it's not loaded fully. This also happens
   in a random way and in many cases a second or third 'reload' works, but many users
   think the page is not complete and do not try again. I had many complaints about this too
   from users.
- GMane had also some serious delays in delivering the content(the messages to the newsgroups). This
   is unfortunately  not reproducible cause it's not constant, but I know many cases where the first
   messages were not sent even if the 'gmane registration' was successful, or they were sent after a
   few days and users abandoned that list.
- MailArchive with delays sometimes too.
- etc. (could continue, but ... :) ).

Of course, these services are free and a great thing for projects, but still, sometimes those
problems kill the entire joy and enthusiasm in a OS project :).

Ahmed.

Re: test the user list!

Will2
Ahmed Mohombe wrote
- GMane had also some serious delays in delivering the content(the messages to the newsgroups). This is unfortunately  not reproducible cause it's not constant, but I know many cases where the first messages were not sent even if the 'gmane registration' was successful, or they were sent after a few days and users abandoned that list.
- MailArchive with delays sometimes too.
- etc. (could continue, but ... :) ).

Of course, these services are free and a great thing for projects, but still, sometimes those
problems kill the entire joy and enthusiasm in a OS project :).

Ahmed.
There is an alternative, Nabble - check out http://www.nabble.com/click-f3303.html

Like Gmane, it archives the Click lists into a searchable forum, and the posting is bi-directional, so it bridges the web forum with the list itself. What's more is that the UI is cleaner. There is a also a better search function.

There is no delay in bridging the web interface and the list emails.

Re: test the user list!

Ahmed Mohombe
> There is an alternative, Nabble - check out
> http://www.nabble.com/click-f3303.html
That isn't an alternative but in best case an extenstion.

> Like Gmane, it archives the Click lists into a searchable forum, and the
> posting is bi-directional, so it bridges the web forum with the list
> itself. What's more is that the UI is cleaner.
Sorry but this isn't the point.
We choose Gmane for NNTP not web interface.
If we need only web we could use the sourceforge or the Confluence mail-list integration only.
Even if there's a web interface, people use gmane for NNTP or RSS.
There's a huge difference between actively looking for what's new and having instant on the screen
by Thunderbird or other tool. Maybe this is not obvious, but if you have many lists, this make a
huge difference :).

> There is no delay in bridging the web interface and the list emails.
Normally Gmane has no delay either. I just mentioned that this year there were more situations like
this. Considering that there were problems with sourceforge too, it's of course very possible that
the problem was in 'delivering to gmane' by sourceforge. I don't know, anyway, the essence of
Gmane is the NNTP gate and that's a good idea and no forum in the world can compete with it :).

Ahmed.