Development Plan

Malcolm Edgar-2
Hi All,

Click release 0.10 is now out and its time to start thinking about items
and priorities for next release. Candidate features include:

Getting Started Guide
* Form <-> DAO autoloader
* FieldSet HTML control/container
* Menu component
* Additional table functions, scrolling, pagination, more styles
* Upgrade Controls HTML from 4.0.1 to XHTML
* multipe constructors for Controls

This plan is now available on the Wiki, so please chip in:

http://www.sunvolt.com/confluence/display/CLK/Development+Plan

regards Malcolm Edgar

Re: Development Plan

Ahmed Mohombe
Hi,

> Getting Started Guide
I think this is the most important to get new users (and users to
work on real projects with Click - not just playing/prof of concept)
Unfortunately not everyone can work on this (I can't -> I would also
need such a document to know Click better :) )
#1. Still, IMHO it should have priority 1.

> * Form <-> DAO autoloader
I suppose some (simple rule based) reflection would be good for it.
#2. Isn't there any small library that can ease this?

> * FieldSet HTML control/container
> * Menu component
This should be fast based on the info from the tracker.
#3. So shall we make a 'SimpleMenu' first?

> * Additional table functions, scrolling, pagination, more styles
Before doing something, IMHO, a wish page for the table would help to
sort things, cause on can invest incredible amount of time and features
in such a table: see DispalyTag or eXtremeTable.
#4. So shall I make a page in confluence: Table+Wishlist?

> * Upgrade Controls HTML from 4.0.1 to XHTML
Hmm, do we need this now? I was planning for the playground/sandbox to "borrow" some
cool components from other frameworks, but AFAIK with XHTML, the CSS and JavaScript
is much stricter: e.g. *.innerHTML is not allowed, and with this very
important for all sort of nice effects.
#5. I wouldn't do it if there's no stringent need for it. Are there any reasons to do it?

> * multipe constructors for Controls
I saw that you already added constructors for some controls.
Since adding constructors is so fast, this can be done underway, based
on a simple checklist (that can change/grow after it's validated/reviewed).

> This plan is now available on the Wiki, so please chip in:
I think these(some of them are not just Click related - more administrative):
#6 - migrate existing tickets to JIRA
#7 - migrate forum messages: there are more options(described on this list how this would work)

Study Confluence and JIRA docs and features, and try to activate
them for Click, to make life easier. E.g:
#8        - confluence: e-mail archive, and do archive all from this list.
#9        - JIRA: NNTP gateway (for the changes, to track them easily)
#10       - JIRA: config projects and subprojects (e.g. Backlog for good ideas but "not now")

#11 - make the newsgroup for users work (if it does, close the forums if #7 works too)
#12 - maybe a newsgroup for the JIRA/Confluence/CVS - not to mess up the click.dev newsgroup, but
to stay informed all the time.
#13 - redirect the links from sourceforge the the right places:
   -tracker->jira (each tracker category to a JIRA filter, and the top tracker link to JIRA directly)
   -DocManager -> Confluence,
   -TaskManager -> JIRA Roadmap
   -Mailing lists -> just add (*don't remove existing*) a link to Confluence Mail archive.

#13 -  a sandbox to test things (It would be good to have a new CVS module like many other projects
have: "click-sandbox") - it shouldn't be in the main project, not to mess up with the official
distribution or the build file.
#14 - crawl the forums/lists and make JIRA tickets for the good ideas (for Backlog). Usually the
good ideas get lost if they aren't present in the message title.
I can help with this too if you agree about this procedure.

Most of the 'administrative' tasks don't take too long and will make life much easier.Unfortunately
for most of them, admin rights are required.
> http://www.sunvolt.com/confluence/display/CLK/Development+Plan
What do you think? I'll put them on Confluence only if you agree with them :) .

Thanks in advance,

Ahmed.

Re: Re: Development Plan

pbarnes
These are good ideas, and JIRA can accommodate all the feature requests, and includes a 'voting system' where users and vote for the features they believe are most important.  I'll add all these as well as any others that I can find in the forums this weekend.  Additionally, the development plan can be tied to versions with a "roadmap" that will let users know whats coming and see progress.  I'll see about setting up the past release (v.10) this way.

Phil..

Hi,

#1. Still, IMHO it should have priority 1.

#2. Isn't there any small library that can ease this?

#3. So shall we make a 'SimpleMenu' first?

#4. So shall I make a page in confluence: Table+Wishlist?

#5. I wouldn't do it if there's no stringent need for it. Are there any reasons to do it?

#6 - migrate existing tickets to JIRA
#7 - migrate forum messages: there are more options(described on this list how this would work)

#8        - confluence: e-mail archive, and do archive all from this list.
#9        - JIRA: NNTP gateway (for the changes, to track them easily)
#10       - JIRA: config projects and subprojects (e.g. Backlog for good ideas but "not now")

#11 - make the newsgroup for users work (if it does, close the forums if #7 works too)
#12 - maybe a newsgroup for the JIRA/Confluence/CVS - not to mess up the click.dev newsgroup, but
to stay informed all the time.
#13 - redirect the links from sourceforge the the right places:

#13 -  a sandbox to test things (It would be good to have a new CVS module like many other projects
#14 - crawl the forums/lists and make JIRA tickets for the good ideas (for Backlog). Usually the
good ideas get lost if they aren't present in the message title.
I can help with this too if you agree about this procedure.

Most of the 'administrative' tasks don't take too long and will make life much easier.Unfortunately
for most of them, admin rights are required.
> http://www.sunvolt.com/confluence/display/CLK/Development+Plan
What do you think? I'll put them on Confluence only if you agree with them :) .

Thanks in advance,

Ahmed.

Re: Development Plan

Malcolm Edgar-2
I think you are right in that this is the best place to track these
items. I have started moving some of these across into JIRA.

I really like JIRA, I find it very easy to use.

regards Malcolm Edgar